Blog design and digital scrapbooking elements created by Adori Graphics »

Sunday, June 12, 2011

A perfect good-bye

     Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to a memorial service to say good-bye to the sweet grandfather of one of my longtime friends.  This was the most appropriate memorial services I have ever attended.  It was a little sad because it was a good-bye, but at the same time it perfectly honored who Mr. Matt was as a father, grandfather, and friend.  He was the kind of person that was so funny all the time, loved everybody, loved to eat, and that everybody loved back.  He always insisted that he didn't want a sad funeral, but a celebration that he was in heaven seeing his wife and all his friends that beat him there.  So, after Mr. Matt died his family took time to plan the perfect way to honor him. (He donated his body to science so there was no traditional funeral.)  My friend called me and told me that they were planning a red shirt spaghetti supper in honor of Mr. Matt.  Sounds weird, I know, but it was perfect!  Mr. Matt LOVED to eat.  And he especially loved spaghetti.  He was a business man who wore suits to work, but he always kept a red shirt in his car in case he ever had the chance to eat spaghetti.  That's how much he liked spaghetti!  So, all his grandchildren flew in to town this past week and yesterday all his friends and family had a red shirt spaghetti supper for Mr. Matt.  After we ate, different people shared stories about him...most of which were funny of course.  It was a very sweet time and I am so glad I was able to attend. 

2 comments:

Alida Sharp said...

What a blessing to see and experience a perfect goodbye to a loved one.

D said...

I agree, it really was a blessing!

Post a Comment

 
Free blog design by Adori Graphics using the Playful digiscrapping kit by Adorible Digital Designs